1 bag Mrs. Hewitt’s Gluten-free Cornbread Mix
1 1/4 cup GF Quick Mix
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
8-10 tablespoons cold water
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:
5-7 large apples (I prefer Granny Smith apples)
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoon unsalted butter cut into cubes (optional—leave out if want to stay vegan)
OPTIONAL: milk or egg wash for top of crust (1 egg yolk + 1 tablespoon water for egg wash)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and set aside an ungreased 9” pie pan.
- Combine Mrs. Hewitt’s Gluten-free Cornbread Mix and GF Quick Mix.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles small peas.
- Slowly add water a tablespoon at a time and stir with a fork until ingredients are moist and hold together. Slow in adding water when dough starts to get close to ready because it can change consistency quickly. You want enough water so it isn’t dry, but not too much or it will get sticky. When I made this batch, I should have added a teaspoon or two of extra water because mine cracked a bit after I rolled it out (particularly the top). If I had slightly more water it would have been more malleable and cracking reduced.
- Divide dough in half and form two balls. At this point you have a choice. Prepare filling before rolling out your dough, or make your filling in between rolling out your top and bottom pieces of dough. Either way, wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate while preparing filling. Directions for filling below.
- Roll out one ball of dough between pieces of plastic wrap. The plastic wrap will keep it from sticking and make it easy to move. Roll out until about an inch wider than the top of your pie pan. Repeat with a second ball of dough to form the top crust.
- Turn one sheet of dough into an ungreased pie pan. Smooth into pan, trim extra that hangs over the top edge, and use trimmed pieces to press into any cracks if needed.
- Add prepared pie filling and dot with butter if using.
- Moisten edge of bottom pie crust with water.
- Cover pie with top crust, trim edge, then pinch bottom and top crusts together. Cut vents on top of crust.
- If desired, brush milk or egg wash over top of crust.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until lightly golden brown. Enjoy!
- Peel and slice 5-7 large apples. Make sure to slice apples consistently so that they cook the same. I sliced mine in 1/4 inch slices.
- Move to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cornstarch.
- Pour over the apples and mix well.
- Sit aside until ready to fill the pie.