Ingredients: (including crust)
1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups GF Quick
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 bag of caramel squares unwrapped, or caramel bits
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 bag semisweet chocolate chips
1. Follow the instructions from the lemon bar recipe for the shortbread crust, using the following modifications:
-Use a 9×13 cookie sheet or baking dish.
-For a thinner crust, don’t use all of the batter (optional).
-I put the shortbread crust in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before poking holes in the top and baking. I made it twice, and this helped to firm up the butter and resulted in a better crust the second time around.
-Completely cool the crust and then continue with the instructions below.
2. Place unwrapped caramels/caramel bits in a large microwave safe bowl along with 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Heat in the microwave in 1 minute bursts, stirring between each burst, until fully melted and smooth. It should take about 3-4 minutes total.
3. Pour melted caramel over your shortbread crust. Allow caramel to set/cool completely.
4. Place semisweet chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl to melt. Heat in the microwave in 1 minute bursts, stirring between each burst, until fully melted and smooth. It should only take about 2 minutes total.
5. Pour and spread melted chocolate over your caramel layer, and allow to cool and set.
6. Lift out of the pan using the parchment, cut into squares or bars and enjoy!