1 bag Mrs. Hewitt’s Savory Stuffing
1 cup (reserving 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, divided
1 large sweet onion (about 2 cups), diced small
5 ribs of celery (about 1 cup), sliced small
2/3 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely minced
1/4 cup fresh sage leaves, finely minced
3 tablespoons fresh rosemary (stems discarded), finely minced
2 tablespoons fresh thyme (stems discarded), finely minced
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
1 1/4 cup chicken broth
2 large eggs
- Place Mrs. Hewitt’s Savory Stuffing in a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8×8 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- To a large skillet, add 3/4 cup butter and heat over medium-high heat until melted.
- Add onions and celery and cook until softened and onions are translucent, about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl with bread.
- Add the minced sage, parsley, rosemary, and thyme, along with salt and pepper to taste. Keep in mind the saltiness of the broth so that you don’t over salt.
- In a small bowl, add the chicken broth and eggs. Whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture over the bread, fold and toss well to combine, no not mix.
- Turn mixture out into a prepared baking dish.
- Dice the remaining 1/4 cup butter into 10-12 pieces and dot over the top of the stuffing.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 40 minutes.
- CAREFULLY fold the stuffing allowing the bottom portion to come to the top and bake for another 25 minutes.
- You can pull it out at this point, or continue baking until it reaches your desired level of moisture. The longer you bake the drier it will become. Cook to your personal preference.